Friday, May 10, 2013

Salzburg

Today we got to Salzburg after noon. Since we came out of the parking garage at the entrance to the Toy museum, I decided to start our day there. They had changed some of their exhibits. It was fun.

Next we had to find someplace to eat.  Since it was already late and everything that I wanted to see
 closed at  4:30, I did not want to do a 2 hour lunch. The only option close by was . . .you guessed it . . .McDonalds.

The McDonalds over here serve some great salads.  The seats were very comfortable.  One could sit there all day - and I think some were. The only thing I questioned was the fact that the play area consisted of large blocks, which the kids threw and knocked over continously.  It was very loud.

Following lunch, we went to Mozart's Gebursthaus (the house where Mozart was born). It was an interesting museum. Then,  we went to the Residenz (or palace). There they gave us a player to listen to as we went through it. I wish more places would do that. The commentaries about each room were short and informative.  We were going to go to the Panorama museum but by then it was 4:30 so it was closed.

Not bad, though. Three museums and lunch in four hours. The highlight of the day was yet to come! We had gotten tickets to the Marionette Theater to see The Sound of Music. We weren't sure if it would be in German or English,  but I told the lady at the information booth that it wouldn't matter.  I mean, if I can sit through Iron Man 3 without knowing what they were saying,  I could surely do the Sound of Music that I know by heart.  It turned out to be in English.  I loved it!  It is amazing how they can give wooden dolls different personalities.
And, at the end of the performance,  they showed us how the puppeteers did the show. They did the scene in the movie where the von Trapps are doing a marionette show ...so, they had marionettes doing a marionette show. It was great!

We swung through McDonalds on the way back to the hotel since we knew everything else would be closed. Good thing they have good salads. The only problem is that I'm addicted to Coca Cola again :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment